This is the 2nd time I have steamed white perch fish, which is simple to make and does not take long. The white perch fish was bought at a Chinese supermarket, at the fish department. When cleaning the white perch fish, cut off the fins to prevent them from getting cut. Use a knife at an angle and scrape off all the scales. Cut halfway in the middle and take out all the dirty stuff inside the fish. Make sure the inside of the fish is clean. Rinse the fish to take out any dirty stuff stuck on the outer part of the fish. When you know how to clean fish, you can clean any kind of fish.
Marinating the fish with salt, turmeric, soya sauce, garlic powder, garlic and onions outside and inside. Also, you can put some Chinese cooking wine inside. It will make the fish taste better. You won’t notice any not good smell.
Steaming this kind of fish takes about 8 minutes. You start to count the time when the water starts boiling. To know if the fish is ready, inserting a knife in the middle. If you feel the bone, that means it is ready. The steamed white perch fish smells so good when it comes out of the steamer. The fish came out perfectly topped with some green onions on top to look nicer.
When eating the white perch fish, there are bones. Be careful eating it. The meats inside taste very good. I like it a lot.
When eating fish, it is best to go with rice. If you have never eaten this white perch fish, you should give it a try. You can have this for lunch or dinner. It is best to eat the whole fish on the same day once it is steam, to get the freshness of the fish. Try making this steam fish, and see if you like it. Enjoy.
Cleaning the white perch fish:
1. Take the bought white perch fish out of the bag and put it in a mixing bowl.
2. Put on a pair of dishwasher gloves.
3. Take the white perch fish out of the bowl.
5. Wash the fish.
6. There are fins in the top and bottom. Use scissors and cut it off.
(Note: cutting the fins off to prevent from getting cut and easier to clean.)
8. Take a knife and fish. At an angled knife, scrape off the scales everywhere on the fish.
(Note: Make sure the fish is clean without any scales.)
9. Take scissors and cut a straight line on the stomach almost to the middle.
10. Take out all the dirty stuff inside the stomach.
(Note: Make sure the fish is all clean inside.)
11. When it is all clean. Rinse inside and make sure there is no dirty thing inside.
12. When it’s all done. Rinse the fish again. Place it in a mixing bowl to get all the water out.
Marinate the white perch fish:
1. Put the fish on the plate.
2. Slice up a couple of gingers and set them aside.
(Note: you can slice the ginger the way you want.)
3. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
4. Place it on the cutting board. Cut it in half, place it on the side and cut it into slices.
5. Use a tong to hold the fish.
6. Sprinkle some salt on the fish on both sides.
7. Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on both sides, but not too much.
8. Sprinkle a little bit of turmeric on the body.
9. Put some soya sauce on the fish on both sides and rub it all around.
10. Put a bit of turmeric inside the fish.
11. Put some Chinese cooking wine inside the fish to prevent the fish from having any not a fresh smell when you eat it. If it have a good fresh smell, then you do not need to put any.
12. Put some sliced onions on the bottom of the fish and on the top of the fish.
13. Take some ginger and peel the skins, and cut them into slices.
(Note: You can keep a bit of the skin on the ginger.)
14. Put a couple of gingers on top of the fish and inside too!
(Note: Putting ginger inside the finish can prevent the fish from having a fresh smell when you eat it.)
1. Take a steamer pot out and boil some water with a rack inside.
2. Once the water starts boiling, put the plate of fish inside the steamer and close the lid.
3. Cook the fish for about 12 minutes.
4. Once the fish is ready, use a knife and put it in the middle. When you feel the knife, touching the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If it’s not, you need to steam it for 2-3 minutes or longer.
(Note: Do not overcook the fish, it will not taste good.)
5. When the fish is ready. Use a kitchen mitten, or a plate clipper, take the whiting fish out and place it on the table.
6. In the fridge, take out some green onions. Wash and cut into small pieces.
7. Sprinkle some green onions on the top
8. Now the white perch fish is ready to eat.