This is a steamed red mullet. I decided to make 4 red mullets. It all depends on how many people are eating the fish. Steaming fish is very simple. Most of the time, when you buy frozen fish, it is not clean. You will need to clean it yourself. Cleaning fish is very simple when you get the hang of it. In a frozen bag of red mullet, they all come in the same size.
Look at how perfectly the 4 red mullet came out from the steamer. The colour is so nice with some sliced ginger and green onions on the top. This fish is very delicious, but there are a lot of small bones inside. Steaming 3 fishes in the same plate, can finish steaming at the same time. I sprinkle some green onions on top of the fish to make the colour look brighter. I place the red mullet in 4 different ways on the plate.
There are small bones in the fish, but be careful eating it. The best combination is rice. Be careful not to mix this red mullet with the rice because there are small bones inside that you might not notice.
Some people might like this fish and others might not. This is the first time I’ve tried this red mullet. If you have never tried this fish, you can give it a try. If you are good at eating bones with fish, this can be a perfect fish to eat. Try this fish and enjoy.
1. Take the package of frozen red mullet out of the freezer.
2. Take out as many red mullet as you need, put it in a bowl of warm water and soak the frozen red mullet into the bowl to unfrozen it for about 4-5 minutes.
(Note: If you are using the whole bag of fish, then soak the bag in warm water.)
3. Put on a pair of dishwasher gloves
4. Take the red mullet out of the bowl.
(Note: If using the whole bag, open the bag with scissors and take the fish out of the bag.)
5. Wash the fish. Cut off any fins and whisker if you feel they will bother you.
6. Take a knife and fish. At an angled knife, scrape off the scales everywhere on the fish.
(Note: Make sure the fish is clean without any scales.)
7. Take scissors and cut a straight line on the stomach almost to the middle.
8. Take out all the dirty stuff inside the stomach.
(Note: Make sure the fish is all clean inside.)
9. When it is all clean. Rinse inside and make sure there is no dirty thing inside.
10. When it’s all done. Rinse the fish again. Place it in a mixing bowl to get all the water out.
Marinate the red mullet:
1. Put the fish on the plate.
2. Slice up a couple of gingers and set them aside.
(Note: you can slice the ginger the way you want.)
3. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
4. Place it on the cutting board. Cut it in half, place it on the side and cut it into slices.
5. Use a tong to hold the fish.
6. Sprinkle some salt on the fish on both sides.
7. Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on both sides, but not too much.
8. Sprinkle a little bit of turmeric on the body.
9. Put some soya sauce on the fish on both sides and rub it all around.
10. Put a bit of turmeric inside the fish.
11. Put some Chinese cooking wine inside the fish to prevent the fish from having any fresh smell when you eat it.
If it does not have a fresh smell, then you do not need to put any.
12. Put some sliced onions on the bottom of the fish and top of the fish.
13. Take some ginger and peel skins, and cut them into slices.
(Note: You can keep a bit of the skin on the ginger.)
14. Put a couple of gingers on top of the fish and inside too!
(Note: Putting ginger inside the finish can prevent the fish from having a fresh smell when you eat it.)
15. Put some oil on top of the fish to look nice. (0ptional)
1. Take a steamer pot out and boil some water with a rack inside.
2. Once the water is boiling, put the plate of fish inside the steamer and close the lid.
3. Cook the fish for about 6-8 minutes.
(Note: A large fish, steam for 12 minutes. Small fish steam for 8-10 minutes (it all depends on the size of the fish.)
4. Once the fish is ready, use a knife and put it in the middle. When you feel the knife, touching the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If it’s not, you need to steam it for 2-3 minutes or longer.
(Note: Do not overcook the fish, it will not taste good.)
5. When the fish is ready. Use a kitchen mitten, or a plate clipper, take the red mullet and place it on the table.
6. Enjoy this steamed red mullet .
7. Cut the green onions into small pieces. Sprinkle some green onions on top of the red mullet .
8. Enjoy this wonderful steamed red mullet .