This steamed red snapper topped with green onions and ginger is very simple to make. This frozen red snapper fish was bought at a supermarket. I bought a big red snapper fish.
This red snapper was already clean. How do you know if the red snapper fish is clean? Turn the fish over. If you see the fish is cut open, inside the fish is clean, and scales scraped off, that is how you know the fish is all clean. When a fish is already clean inside and outside, it saves a lot of time.
When you prepare the big red snapper. You find out that you might not finish the red snapper. You can cut the red snapper in half. Prepared the red snapper in two different plates.
When marinating the red snapper fish, the one that you will not be eating do not put any salt and soya. If you put salt and soya sauce and then put it in the freezer to eat next time, it will not taste good. The one that you will be eating marinate with some salt, soya sauce, garlic powder, ginger and onions outside and inside. If the fish is not fresh to take away the smell by putting some Chinese cooking wine inside. This red snapper is fresh and smells good.
To steam the fish. Put some water into a large pan and place a wire rack. When the water starts boiling, place the fish into the large pan and close the lid. Steam the red snapper for 8-10 minutes since it is a half fish. When the fish is ready, inserting a knife in the middle. If you feel the bone, that means it is ready. The steamed red snapper fish smells so good when it comes out of the steamer. The fish came out perfectly topped with some green onions on top of the fish to look nicer.
When eating the red snapper, there are bones. Be careful eating it. The meats inside taste very good. I like it a lot. This is one of my favourite fish. I would eat it every day.
When eating fish, it is best to go with rice. You can have this for lunch or dinner. It is best to eat the whole fish on the same day once it is steam, to get the freshness of the fish. Try making this steam fish, and see if you like it. Enjoy.
Cleaning the red snapper:
Note: To know if the fish is clean. Check the fish if the bottom line is open. That is when you know
the fish is clean. You do not need to clean inside or scrape the scales.
1. Take the bought white perch fish out of the bag and put it in a mixing bowl.
2. Put on a pair of dishwasher gloves.
3. Take the red snapper out of the bowl.
5. Wash the fish.
6. There are fins in the top and bottom. Use scissors and cut it off.
(Note: cutting the fins off to prevent from getting cut and easier to clean.)
8. Take a knife and fish. At an angled knife, scrape off the scales everywhere on the fish.
(Note: Make sure the fish is clean without any scales.)
9. Take scissors and cut a straight line on the stomach almost to the middle.
10. Take out all the dirty stuff inside the stomach.
(Note: Make sure the fish is all clean inside.)
11. When it is all clean. Rinse inside and make sure there is no dirty thing inside.
12. When it’s all done. Rinse the fish again. Place it in a mixing bowl to get all the water out.
Marinate the red snapper:
1. Cut the fish in half and place the head on plate and the body and tail on another plate.
2. Slice up a couple of gingers and set them aside.
(Note: you can slice the ginger the way you want.)
3. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
4. Place it on the cutting board. Cut it in half, place it on the side and cut it into slices.
5. Use a tong to hold the fish.
6. Sprinkle some salt on the fish on both sides.
7. Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on both sides, but not too much.
8. Sprinkle a little bit of turmeric on the body.
9. Put some soya sauce and salt on the fish on both sides and rub it all around.
(Note: Sprinkle some salt and soya sauce on the fish that you will eat.)
10. The other half fish, that you will not eat, do not put anything salt or soya sauce because it will not take good after
it has been frozen in the freezer.
10. Put a bit of turmeric inside the fish that you will eat.
11. Put some Chinese cooking wine inside the fish to prevent the fish from having any not a fresh smell when you eat it. If it have a good fresh smell, then you do not need to put any.
12. Put some sliced onions on the bottom of the fish and on the top of the fish.
13. Take some ginger and peel the skins, and cut them into slices.
(Note: You can keep a bit of the skin on the ginger.)
14. Put a couple of gingers on top of the fish and inside too!
(Note: Putting ginger inside the finish can prevent the fish from having a fresh smell when you eat it.)
15. The other half fish on the plate, can be wrapped and place in the freezer to eat next time.
1. Take a steamer pot out and boil some water with a rack inside.
2. Once the water starts boiling, put the plate of fish inside the steamer and close the lid.
3. Cook the fish for about 12 minutes.
4. Once the fish is ready, use a knife and put it in the middle. When you feel the knife, touching the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If it’s not, you need to steam it for 2-3 minutes or longer.
(Note: Do not overcook the fish, it will not taste good.)
5. When the fish is ready. Use a kitchen mitten, or a plate clipper, take the whiting fish out and place it on the table.
6. In the fridge, take out some green onions. Wash and cut the green onions into pieces.
7. Sprinkle some green onions on the top
8. Now the red snapper is ready to eat.