This is the 13th time I made steamed Pampano fish topped with green onions and coriander. It’s very delicious and one of my favourite fish. When cleaning the fish, I got the hang of it. It was not too hard. It was very simple and did not take long.
When marinating the fish, I put salt, turmeric, soya sauce, garlic powder, garlic and onions outside and inside. Also, you can put some Chinese cooking wine inside. It will make the fish taste better. You won’t notice any not a fresh smell.
There are some bones in the fish, but just be careful eating it. The meats inside are very awesome and tasty. Once you eat it fresh, you will like it a lot. You can defrost the frozen pampano fish the night before in the fridge.
You can eat this fish with rice, with all the sauce that you can mix in the rice. It will taste so good. Depending on whether you like the sauce or not. You can have this for lunch or dinner. Another way of cooking this fish is pan-fried or baking it. Which ever you choose as your desire and cook it the way you like it. It is best to eat the whole fish on the same day once it is steam, to get the freshness of the fish. Try making this steam fish, and you will love it.
1. Take the frozen Pampano out of the freezer.
2. Take a bowl of hot water and soak the frozen pampano fish in the bowl, to unfrozen it for about 4-5 minutes.
3. Put a pair of dishwasher gloves.
4. Take it out of the bowl.
5. Open the bag with scissors and take the fish out of the bag.
6. Wash the fish
7. Take a knife and fish. At an angle of the knife, scrape off the scales everywhere on the fish. This fish does not have a 8. lot of scales to scrape off. Compare to other fishes. If the fish have a not fresh smell. Put some salt on both sides of the body and inside too!
(Note: putting salt can take the non-fresh smell away.)
9. Take scissors and cut off the mouth guard. Cut a straight line on the stomach almost to the middle
10. Take out all the disgusting intestine, the red guts and also the mouth guard out of the fish.
11. When it is all clean. Rinse inside and make sure there is no dirty thing inside.
12. When done. Rinse the fish again and put it on a plastic bowl to get all the water out.
Preparing the onions and ginger:
1. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
2. Place it on the cutting board. Cut each onion in half. Put it on the side and cut it into slices.
3. Take ginger. Use a slice cutter and slice the ginger into strips of pieces
4. Place them into a bowl and set it aside.
Marinating the fish:
1. put the fish on the plate.
2. sprinkle some salt, garlic powder and pour some soya sauce and turmeric on the body
3. Repeat the same steps on the other side of the fish.
4. Inside the fish, sprinkle some salt, garlic powder and pour some soya sauce, turmeric and Chinese cooking wine.
5. Spread some onions on top of the fish, inside and some at the bottom of the plate.
6. In the bowl, take some sliced ginger strips and spread them on top of the fish. Then put some inside the fish.
(Note: Marinating inside the fish and putting ginger and onions can take the non-fresh smell out of the fish.)
Steaming the pampano fish:
1. In the cupboard, Take a large pan and place it on the stove.
2. Put some water, the amount you need to steam the fish.
3. Put a steamer tray. Close the lid.
4. Once the water starts boiling, put the fish inside the steamer tray and close the lid.
5. Cook the fish for about 12-15 minutes.
( Note: A small size fish cooking time takes 10 minutes.)
6. Once the fish is ready. Use a knife and stick it in the middle to see if it touches the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If not, you need to cook a bit longer.
7. Once it is ready. Turn of the heat.
8. In the fridge, take out some green onions and rinse it. Wash the coriander and rinse them.
9. Chop up some green onion and coriander. Sprinkle some green onions on top of the fish.
10. Place some coriander in the middle of the fish.
11. Use a plate clipper or kitchen mittens, take out the steam pampano fish and place it on the table.