This stir-fried mustard green with bacon is simple to make. When you buy a Chinese big mustard green from a Chinese supermarket, there are 2 in a bag. You do not need to eat all at once, you can save some to eat next time. They are a bit big, so washing can take a bit longer. The leaves at the bottom need to be cut a bit apart, each other from each other. It is best to cut them into pieces. It is easier to stir-fry in the large pan. I decided to use bacon to have some meat in the dish.
When cooking, I cook bacon first with some garlic and ginger. I use only the meat part and cut off all the fat from the bacon. Since there was oil in the bacon, I did not need to put any in the large pan. When cooking bacon, it smells so good that it will make you feel hungry. The bacon needs to be cooked until they are well-done. Put it in a bowl and set it aside.
Second,, cook the Chinese big mustard green. Put some water and close the lid. The water starts boiling, let it cook for a few minutes. Open lid. Take a piece of Chinese big mustard green and taste if it’s a bit crunchy and tender and able to eat it. If it’s the right texture, then pour the bacon and mix it together. Now the stir-fried mustard green with bacon is ready.
Kids and adults would love this dish. It is very delicious and tasty. The dish came out bright and colourful. The best dish I recommend with this dish is rice. You can mix the Chinese big mustard green with the Chinese big mustard green with bacon in the rice. I will taste so good together. You can make this for dinner. when you have leftover, you can make a sandwich, It will taste so good. When you have no idea what to make on that day, you can consider make this stir-fried mustard green with bacon. Try the recipe and enjoy.
Washing Big Chinese Mustard Green Vegetable:
1. Take the package of Chinese Mustard Green out of the fridge.
2. In the cupboard take out a strainer and a big container to
wash the Chinese Mustard Green.
3. Place the large container in the sink. Take the strainer and place it
on the other sink next to it.
4. Take the Chinese Mustard Green out of the package and place it in the big container.
5. Separate each Chinese Mustard Green pieces apart. Use a knife and cut off the end hard part.
7. Open each Green mustard wide wash it in the water very clean, make sure there are no dirty stuff
in the vegetable.
6. open the cold water and fill it up. Take the end part of the mustard green on each hands. turn it upside down and separate apart and shake it in water.
(note: Make sure all the dirty stuff is out and each vegetable is clean.)
7. Each time a pieces is wash, place it in the strainer.
8. Cut the green mustard’s in half and separate the stems and leafs in two different strainer or bowl.
9. Fill the container with water and wash the green mustard 3-4 times and put it aside
(Note: make sure it is all clean and have no dirty stuff.)
10. Wash the stems 2-3 times and put it aside.
Cutting the Chinese big green mustard:
1. Take the Chinese big green mustard and place it on the cutting board.
2. Use a knife and cut a bit on the bottom leaves apart from each other.
3. Rinse the big green mustard.
4. Take a knife and place it at an angle. While in each turn, cut the big green mustard into pieces and put it in the strainer.
Preparing the bacons:
1.In the freezer, take out the package of bacon.
2. Take the bacon out of the package and place it on the cutting board. Use a knife and cut the part of bacon in the amount that you need to use.
3. Since it is still frozen, separate the bacon. Let it sit for a bit to defrost.
4. If there are some fat pieces, cut it off.
5. Put it into a bowl and set it aside.
Preparing the garlic and ginger:
1. Take ginger. Use a spoon and peel the skin.
2. Use a slice cutter. Make sure the knife is attached to the slice cutter.
3. Slice the ginger into strips of pieces.
4. Put the ginger in a bowl and set it aside.
5. Take 4-5 garlic’s. Peel the skins and put garlic in a mid-size blender.
6. Blend the garlic. Put the blended garlic into a bowl and set it aside.
Cooking the bacon:
1. In the cupboard, take out a large pan and place it on the stove.
2. Turn on the heat to high.
3. When the large pan is hot, put the garlic and strips of ginger and stir
4. Put the bacon into the large pan.
(Note: Since the bacon has oil, you do not need to add any.)
5. Separate the bacon apart.
6. Stir the bacon a bit.
7. Let it cook in the pan by itself.
8. Stir the bacon again.
9. Close the lid. Let it cook for a bit.
10. Open the lid and cook until the bacon is well done.
11. Once done, put the bacon in a bowl and set it aside.
12. If there is a lot of oil in the large pan, pour oil into the garbage.
(If there are none then skip this step)
Cooking the Chinese big mustard green and bacon together:
1. Re-use the same frying pan since there is still some bacon oil, no need to add any.
2. Turn on the heat to high.
3. When the large pan is hot, put the bowl of Chinese big mustard green.
5. When the water starts boiling, let it cook in the large pan for a few minutes.
6. Open the lid. Take a piece and taste it. If it’s a bit crunchy and tender, that means it is ready. If not, then you need to cook it a bit longer.
(Note: keeping the lid off will prevent the mustard green from being not a good colour.)
7. When the Chinese big mustard green is ready, pour the bacon into the large pan.
8. Put some light soya sauce and mix the Chinese big mustard green and bacon.
9. Turn off the heat immediately. Take a plate, pour all the Chinese big mustard green with bacon onto a plate and place it on the table.