A steamed redfish is very simple to make. I used a big fish that was in the frozen package. Most of the time, when you buy frozen fish, It is not clean. You will need to clean it yourself. When you learn how to clean a fish. You will get the hang of it and be able to clean any fish. Since this is my 5th time making this redfish, I got the hang of cleaning the fish. It did not take long and very simple.
Look at how perfectly the redfish came out from the steamer. The colour is so nice with some scallions, coriander, ginger on top and onions at the bottom. I like this fish a lot, and it tastes very delicious. It is one of my favourite fish.
There are some bones in the fish, but be careful eating it. The best combination with this dish would be rice. With the sauce in the fish, you can mix in the rice. The meat tastes very good with soya sauce on it and rice. Steaming fish is very healthy and tastes better.
Younger kids would need help from an adult picking the fish meat for them since it has bones in the fish. You can have this fish for lunch or dinner. It is best to eat the whole fish on the same day fresh. When you want to eat fish and have no idea what fish to make, you can consider making this redfish topped with scallions and coriander. A very delicious steamed fish to make. Try the recipe and enjoy.
1. Take the package of frozen redfish out of the freezer.
2. Take out as many redfish as you need, put it in a bowl of warm water and soak the frozen redfish into the bowl to unfrozen it for about 4-5 minutes.
(Note: If you are using the whole bag of fish, then soak the bag in warm water.)
3. Put on a pair of dishwasher gloves
4. Take the redfish out of the bowl.
(Note: If using the whole bag, open the bag with scissors and take the fish out of the bag.)
5. Wash the fish.
6. Take a knife and fish. At an angled knife, scrape off the scales everywhere on the fish.
(Note: Make sure the fish is clean without any scales.)
7. Take scissors and cut a straight line on the stomach almost to the middle.
8. Take out all the dirty stuff inside the stomach.
(Note: Make sure the fish is all clean inside.)
9. When it is all clean. Rinse inside and make sure there is no dirty thing inside.
10. When it’s all done. Rinse the fish again. Place it in a mixing bowl to get all the water out.
Marinate the redfish:
1. Put the fish on the plate.
2. Slice up a couple of gingers and set them aside.
(Note: you can slice the ginger the way you want.)
3. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
4. Place it on the cutting board. Cut it in half, place it on the side and cut it into slices.
5. Use a tong to hold the fish.
6. Sprinkle some salt on the fish on both sides.
7. Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on both sides, but not too much.
8. Sprinkle a little bit of turmeric on the body.
9. Put some soya sauce on the fish on both sides and rub it all around.
10. Put a bit of turmeric inside the fish.
11. Put some Chinese cooking wine inside the fish to prevent the fish from having any fresh smell when you eat it.
If it does not have a fresh smell, then you do not need to put any.
12. Put some sliced onions on the bottom of the fish and top of the fish.
13. Take some ginger and peel skins, and cut them into slices.
(Note: You can keep a bit of the skin on the ginger.)
14. Put a couple of gingers on top of the fish and inside too!
(Note: Putting ginger inside the finish can prevent the fish from having a fresh smell when you eat it.)
15. Put some oil on top of the fish to look nice. (0ptional)
1. Take a steamer pot out and boil some water with a rack inside.
2. Once the water is boiling, put the plate of fish inside the steamer and close the lid.
3. Cook the fish for about 10-12 minutes.
(Note: A large fish, steam for 12 minutes. Small fish steam for 8-10 minutes (it all depends on the size of the fish.)
4. Once the fish is ready, use a knife and put it in the middle. When you feel the knife, touching the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If it’s not, you need to steam it for 2-3 minutes or longer.
(Note: Do not overcook the fish, it will not taste good.)
5. When the fish is ready. Use a kitchen mitten, or a plate clipper, take the redfish and place it on the table.
6. In the fridge, take out some coriander and scallions. Rinse the coriander and scaillions
7. Cut the scallions into small pieces. Sprinkle some scallions on top of the redfish.
8. Enjoy this wonderful steamed redfish.