This is the 12th time I made steamed pampano fish with ginger topped with coriander. I decided to make a big pampano fish. Usually you can find pampano fish at a Chinese supermarket or any store that sells this type of fish. The pampano fish smells so good when it comes out of the steamer.
Making a good steam fish needs to be marinated with salt, turmeric, soya sauce, garlic powder, garlic and onions outside and inside. Also, you can put some Chinese cooking wine inside. It will make the fish taste better. You won’t notice any not fresh smell. The Chinese cooking wine can be bought at a Chinese supermarket. Steaming fish is very healthy.
Take a portable steamer or a large pan. Pour some water and boil on high heat. Close the lid. When the water starts boiling, I put the pampano into the steamer. I steam the fish for 13 minutes. You can steam it for 1-2 extra minutes to ensure it is properly cooked. To know if the fish is ready. Take a knife and insert it in the middle. If you feel the bone, that means ready. If not, you need to cook it a bit longer. When it is done, be careful taking the plate of steam fish out of the steamer. It is very hot.
When eating the fish, there are bones. Be careful eating it. The meats inside are very awesome and tasty. I like it a lot. You can defrost the frozen pampano fish the night before in the fridge.
When eating fish, it is best to go with rice. Make sure there are no bones before mixing it into the rice. It is best to eat the whole fish on the same day once it is steam, to get the freshness of the fish. Try making this steam fish, and you will enjoy it.
Preparing the onions, mixed peppers and ginger:
1. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
2. Place it on the cutting board. Cut each onion in half. Put it on the side and cut it into slices.
3. Take ginger. Use a slice cutter and slice the ginger into strips of pieces
4. Place them into a bowl and set it aside.
5. Take a bag of small peppers.
6. Take a slice cutter and make sure the knife is attach to the slice cutter.
7. Slice the yellow and red peppers into slices.
8. Place them into a bowl and set it aside.
Marinating the fish:
1. put the fish on the plate.
2. sprinkle some salt, garlic powder and pour some soya sauce and turmeric on the body
3. Repeat the same steps on the other side of the fish.
4. Inside the fish, sprinkle some salt, garlic powder and pour some soya sauce, turmeric and Chinese cooking wine.
5. Spread some onions on top of the fish, inside and some at the bottom of the plate.
6. In the bowl, take some sliced ginger strips and spread them on top of the fish. Then put some inside the fish.
(Note: Marinating inside the fish and putting ginger and onions can take the non-fresh smell out of the fish.)
Steaming the pampano fish:
1. In the cupboard, Take a large pan and place it on the stove.
2. Put some water, the amount you need to steam the fish.
3. Put a steamer tray. Close the lid.
4. Once the water starts boiling, put the fish inside the steamer tray and close the lid.
5. Cook the fish for about 12 minutes and extra timing to unsure it is properly cooked.
6. Once the fish is ready. Use a knife and stick it in the middle to see if it touches the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If not, you need to cook a bit longer.
7. Once it is ready. Turn of the heat.
8. Take some coriander. Wash it very clean with out any dirt and cut into small pieces.
9. Sprinkle some on top of the pampano fish.
10. Place the left over into a small bowl.
11. Place it back into the fridge.
12. Open the lid. Use a plate clipper and take out the fish from the steamer and place it on the table.