Two steamed whiting fish topped with ginger. It is simple to make. When cleaning the fish, it took a bit longer. It has sharp fins that need to be cut off. First, use scissors and pull the fins up. Soak it in water for a bit. It can be easier to remove. Once all the fins are removed, you can process scraping of the scales and cleaning inside. It is similar to cleaning a frozen kind of fish.
When marinating the fish, there are a few ingredients to put on the fish. Salt, garlic powder, soya sauce and turmeric on both sides. At the bottom of the fish, I put some slices of onions and some pieces of ginger. Inside I put turmeric, onions and ginger. If the fish does not have a fresh smell, then add some Chinese cooking wine. It can help prevent the fish from a none fresh smell. If the fish smells fresh, then you do not need to put any Chinese cooking wine. The Chinese cooking wine can be found and bought at a Chinese supermarket.
To steam, the whiting fish topped with ginger takes about 10 minutes. The time it takes to boil and cook the fish. It smells so good steaming from a steamer. It takes that long because some parts are still frozen.
Look at how beautiful and perfect the whiting fish came out of the steamer. I like this fish a lot, and it tastes very delicious. By adding the ginger on the top brightens the colour of the dish.
There are some bones in the fish, but be careful eating it. The best combination with this dish would be rice. The sauce in the fish, you can mix it in the rice. The meat is so good and tasty. If you have never eaten whiting fish, then you should give it a try and see if you like it.
Younger kids would need help from an adult picking the fish meat for them since it has bones in the fish. You can have this fish for lunch or dinner. It is best to eat the whole fish on the same day fresh. This can be a delicious steamed fish to make. Try the recipe and enjoy.
Cleaning the whiting fish:
1. Take the package of frozen whiting fish out of the freezer.
2. Take out as many whiting fish as you need, put it in a bowl of warm water and soak the frozen redfish into the bowl to unfrozen it for about 4-5 minutes.
(Note: If you are using the whole bag of fish, then soak the bag in warm water.)
3. Put on a pair of dishwasher gloves.
4. Take the whiting fish out of the bowl.
(Note: If using the whole bag, open the bag with scissors and take the fish out of the bag.)
5. Wash the fish.
6. There are fins in the top and bottom. Use scissors and lift the fins.
7. Soak the fish in water for a bit.
8. Take the fish out of the bowl and cut all the fins off to prevent them from getting cut.
(Note: Cutting the fins off will be easier to clean the fish.
9. Take a knife and fish. At an angled knife, scrape off the scales everywhere on the fish.
(Note: Make sure the fish is clean without any scales.)
10. Take scissors and cut a straight line on the stomach almost to the middle.
11. Take out all the dirty stuff inside the stomach.
(Note: Make sure the fish is all clean inside.)
12. When it is all clean. Rinse inside and make sure there is no dirty thing inside.
13. When it’s all done. Rinse the fish again. Place it in a mixing bowl to get all the water out.
Marinate the whiting fish:
1. Put the fish on the plate.
2. Slice up a couple of gingers and set them aside.
(Note: you can slice the ginger the way you want.)
3. Take an onion. Use a knife peeler and peel the onion skin.
4. Place it on the cutting board. Cut it in half, place it on the side and cut it into slices.
5. Use a tong to hold the fish.
6. Sprinkle some salt on the fish on both sides.
7. Sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on both sides, but not too much.
8. Sprinkle a little bit of turmeric on the body.
9. Put some soya sauce on the fish on both sides and rub it all around.
10. Put a bit of turmeric inside the fish.
11. Put some Chinese cooking wine inside the fish to prevent the fish from having any fresh smell when you eat it. If it does not have a fresh smell, then you do not need to put any.
12. Put some sliced onions on the bottom of the fish and on the top of the fish.
13. Take some ginger and peel the skins, and cut them into slices.
(Note: You can keep a bit of the skin on the ginger.)
14. Put a couple of gingers on top of the fish and inside too!
(Note: Putting ginger inside the finish can prevent the fish from having a fresh smell when you eat it.)
15. Put some oil on top of the fish to look nice. (0ptional)
1. Take a steamer pot out and boil some water with a rack inside.
2. Once the water starts boiling, put the plate of fish inside the steamer and close the lid.
3. Cook the fish for about 8-10minutes.
4. Once the fish is ready, use a knife and put it in the middle. When you feel the knife, touching the bone. Then you know it’s ready. If it’s not, you need to steam it for 2-3 minutes or longer.
(Note: Do not overcook the fish, it will not taste good.)
5. When the fish is ready. Use a kitchen mitten, or a plate clipper, take the whiting fish out and place it on the table.